Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Paper Writing Frustrations

The stupidity of writing long sentences just to look smarter. The best sentences are short and strong. “Jack got up and walked away.” Simple and sweet sentences are the best way to write; Straight to the point and no exaggeration. Why must we learn to exaggerate our opinions? It isn't ignorant to speak or write with straight to the point words and sentences. When things are too detailed they lose their purpose. There is only so much one can say about the color white before a reader or listener will lose interest and either fall asleep or walk away. What happened to reading between the lines when everything seems to be simply spelled out with so many words? There are so many people that use improper fillers to fill in the so called “empty space” in a paper or report.  I want to look at a bush and see the bush not what is around the bush. But with some of these papers and reports we have to write seem to want us to explain the bush while describing everything it isn't. I want to know what it is, not what it’s not. Who made the rules and regulations of how a proper paper should look and sound like? With so many rules, how can one think outside the box? There seems to be so much rules and limits that when we try to freelance we can’t because we have been told that a proper paper and such should look and sound like “this”; so our brain struggles with feeling free and limitations. It’s like growing up always being told and taught that we can’t go outside when it rains; so we become scared and unsure about the outside world and are stuck inside during the rainy seasons. We aren't free to do what we want to do: experiment. I was a pretty good fictional writer when I was in high school, but when I enrolled in an English course in college I had lost my feeling of words on paper. I have a hard time being able to write as freely as I used to. In the course I was criticized badly for the way I organized and wrote my papers. I got scared and concerned that every sentence I wrote either weren't long enough or good enough to be in the paper. The professor wanted the sentences to have “strong” words and perfect punctuation. Not to mention the paragraphs all had to be a certain length. But there is only so much one can write on certain topic sentence. A lot of topic sentences are small to themselves; or simple enough to give all the information about what needs to be said. The way things should flow isn't always what happens in life. I don’t think it’s proper to make everything so “perfect” in the way of organization. When the earth was made, did someone come up with a plan and say “OK, first we’re going to make this and then this.”? I don’t think they did; I think it happened either all at once or in random events. We put things into organization because we don’t understand them when they are in the natural state of non-organization-ness. I understand that without organization we would have chaos. But interesting enough, we still have chaos, just organized chaos?.

No comments:

Post a Comment